Forget spending hours in the kitchen baking and cooking. These Quick and Easy Raw Vegan Date Peppermint Slice will only take 15 minutes to make. They don’t require any cooking and are super healthy, not to mention gluten free. This is a fun way to eat fruit and not only will it please the kids, but its addictive for grownups as well. No refined sugars are used, with all of the sweetness coming from the raw, natural Medjool dates.
I have made a few different versions of this slice, some more complicated with three layers, but always find this to be one of the best tasting versions. Its hard not to eat it within a few days, but will last a few weeks in the refrigerator and months in the freezer.
This recipe will make about 12 slices when cut up into pieces, but the ingredients can be easily adjusted to make more or less as needed. I have made this recipe a number of times and always get positive feedback when I share it with my friends and family. A video has been included below, showing the method and ingredients.
For more natural fruit recipes please be sure to check out our article: 7 Easy Healthy Dragon Fruit Recipes. These recipes are all quick easy and best of all raw and healthy and made from fruit.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Raw Date Peppermint Slice?
This recipe will make about 12 thick cut slices if you use a smaller tray (20cm x 20cm or 8 inches x 8 inches). If you like more ‘crunch’ to your slice then add a few chopped cashews to the mix after all of the blending has been completed.
- 1 1/2 Cups Medjool Dates. These are the raw, soft dates not the dried dates. I have found that 1 1/2 cups usually are about 330 grams or 15 dates but will vary depending on the size of the dates. These dates can be found in a supermarket in the fresh produce section and are more expensive than the dried dates. Medjool dates are full of vitamins and minerals, protein (almost 1 gram per date) and natural sugars. Make sure to remove the stones if they are not already pitted.
- 1 1/2 Cups Raw Cashews. Raw cashews make a great smooth creamy texture when blended. They will add additional protein and minerals to the Peppermint slice. They tend to be a bit pricey, especially if you buy organic. You can find them in most supermarkets or health food stores. If you prefer to weigh everything out then you will need 225 grams.
- 1/3 Cup Cacao Powder. This is considered a superfood and comes from the ground seeds of the fruit of the Theobroma cacao tree. It is packed with healthy flavonoids and is high in Magnesium. A 1/3 cup of Cacao powder is about 40 grams.
- 3 Tsp White Chia Seeds. Chia is also a superfood and contains the healthy Omega-3 Fatty Acids. When mixed with water, these seeds will form a gel to help bind the peppermint slice.
- 3 Tbsp Water. I prefer to use mineral water rather than tap water.
- 1 – 2 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil. This amount can be adjusted according to personal taste. I find that for me 1 – 2 drops is more than enough as the oil is extremely concentrated. An organic oil can be found in most Health Shops. You can also use peppermint extract. If you use the extract then you can use 1 1/2 tsp.
- 2 Tbsp Desiccated Coconut. This is finely shredded coconut and is made from the white flesh of the coconut. For more information on Is a Coconut a Fruit take a look at our article: Is A Coconut A Fruit Or Nut. You can also check out a lot of fun facts about coconuts in our section: Coconut
Here is a picture of all of the ingredients used to make Raw vegan date peppermint slice. They are organic but you can use ingredients that are not organic if you prefer.
If you prefer to see the amounts of each ingredient already weighed out then take a look at the picture below. As you can see, there are very few ingredients. Cashews and dates make up the bulk of the slice.
Check the video below for instructions and method to make the peppermint slice. The instructions can also be found near the end of this article. I have included the video as it can be easier to visually see how all of the ingredients combine together to make the slice. Please don’t forget to share, like the video and subscribe to our Youtube Channel Fruitinformation where you can view many other fruit recipes.
FAQs for How to Make Date Peppermint Slice
Is Mint Slices Made With Dark Chocolate?
Arnott’s mint slices are made with dark chocolate made from cacao. The raw vegan peppermint slice is made from pure cacao powder from the cacao bean with no dairy or sweetener.
How Many Calories Are In A Peppermint Slice?
The peppermint slice has 126 calories per piece. However, it can vary depending on the size of each piece, but 126 calories is an average per piece based on 15 pieces. Each piece also contains 17 grams of carbohydrates and 3 grams of protein.
Are Mint Slices Vegetarian?
Mint slices are vegetarian. They can also be made at home with only vegan ingredients such as raw fruits, nuts and seeds.
Do Mint Slices Have Palm Oil?
Arnott’s mint slices have palm oil. However homemade vegan raw peppermint slice has no palm oil or artificial colours and flavours.
How Much Sugar Is In A Mint Slice?
Mint slice has 6.6 grams of sugar. Vegan raw peppermint slice has 11 grams of sugar per piece.
Is PepperMint Slice Gluten Free?
Peppermint slice is gluten free. It is also raw, vegan and made with no refined sugars.
- 1 1/2 Cups Medjool Dates
- 1 1/2 Cups Raw Cashews
- 1/3 Cup Cacao Powder
- 3 Tsp White Chia Seeds
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1 or 2 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil (alternatively 1 1/2 Tsp Peppermint Extract)
- 2 Tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- Wash the Medjool dates, ensuring they are pitted. Chop them into smaller pieces.
- Line a 20cm x 20cm (8 inch x 8 inch) dish with baking paper and sprinkle evenly with 1 Tbsp Desiccated Coconut.
- Blend the Raw Cashews until smooth.
- Add the Dates to the blender and blend with the Cashews until combined.
- Add Cacao Powder, Chia Seeds, Water and Peppermint Oil to the blender and blend until all ingredients are mixed.
- If the mixture is too dry then add a little more water and blend again.
- For a bit of a crunch add some additional chopped up cashews and mix them in to the blended ingredients.
- Add the mixture to the dish and using a spoon flatten the mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining Desiccated Coconut and press firmly with your hands.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up or 20 minutes in the freezer for a quicker firmer slice.
- Cut up into slices and store in a container in the refrigerator or freezer.